Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

There's Something In These Hills

Up until about two weeks ago, I had never set foot in the state of South Carolina (Unless you ask past Sister of the Suitcase, Brett, who tells me the fruit stand on the way to Ocean Isle Beach, NC is actually in SC). So I ventured down South for Graduate Assistant interviews at both University of South Carolina and then Clemson University the week after. I had a GREAT time at both weekends, love the people I met, and enjoyed getting to know more about the programs and student affairs. 

You know how people always say you sometimes just need to trust your gut for some decisions? Well, I'm terrible at that! Maybe it's the Green in me, (my True Colors people, I know y'all know what I'm talking about) but I just always have to make sure the decisions I make are logical. I have a really hard time going with my gut feeling but I'm working on it since it tends to be right majority of the time, anyway.

With all that said, I surprised myself and
 I made my decision y'all!
 

THIS GIRL IS GOING TO BE A CLEMSON TIGER!!!
Clemson's Stadium, affectionately known as Death Valley

Tillman Hall at Clemson
When it came to Clemson, I felt my gut trying to tell me something from the first time I set foot on that campus. As I got to learn more about the  Counselor Education - Student Affairs program and meet people that I could be working with/may be in my cohort, Clemson just kept feeling like a better and better fit. I left Clemson hoping that it was part of The Big Plan for me to be there.

Now let me tell you about my day yesterday. I'm on Spring Break, so I slept in the latest I have in a long time and when I woke up, this worry and anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew that it could potentially be the day that I hear back from one of my interviews. To try and get my mind off of it all, I did my best to keep myself busy! So the first thing I did was open up Jesus Calling (Seriously, one of the best gifts I've ever received. If you don't have the book or app yet, get on it! I highly recommend it!!).

"Refuse to Worry." Those were the first three words I read. I continue to read the remainder of the devotional and at the bottom, it lists two verses that I hold very close to my heart. Luke 12:25-26, which is something I'm constantly repeating to myself since I'm such a worry wart (but I'm working on it)! The next verse was 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, which just happens to be the verse I have up on my chalkboard wall back home in California.  I felt like I should just get up and start singing "I saw the sign!" yes, I have been watching Pitch Perfect too much. 

From there, I decided that I wasn't going to sit by phone waiting for a call and just started keeping myself busy! I read, took a nap (I've been feeling a little under the weather), did some cleaning, and it was a couple of hours later that I realized I had a missed call and voicemail. I check it, call the number back and was offered the amazing graduate assistant position I was hoping for!!! (which I'll talk about in a later post) I thought I would take the week to mull it over, but after an hour of some self-reflection and a phone conversation with my Mom, I knew Clemson was where I needed to be so I called back and officially accepted!

So what's next? Some important summer school/living/start date decisions, adding some more orange and purple to my wardrobe (priorities, clearly. haha, just kidding. kind of) and MOST IMPORTANTLY, making the most of my last two months of being an Alpha Delta Pi Senior Leadership Consultant. It's crazy how fast my time as a sister of the suitcase has flown by but I'm going to enjoy the time I have left with the wonderful women of Theta Omicron Chapter at James Madison!

For those of you who are currently in the middle of your grad school search or getting ready to begin this Fall, best of luck!! Ask lots of questions, there are tons of current grads and faculty that are more than willing to answer your questions. It's so important that you find somewhere that's a good fit for you (does this remind anyone of sorority recruitment? Life skills people, we weren't kidding when we said that). Most importantly, don't worry!!! I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, even if it's just for the learning experience, and that everything works out exactly as it should!


Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?
Since you cannot do this very little thing,
why do you worry about the rest?
Luke 12:25-26

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...