Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

books and summertime go together

To get my mind off the Mariners currently losing to the Angels (I have hope, there's still time to come back!), I thought I'd update on my summer readings! This week, I read through the Fifty Shades trilogy. I had heard a lot of mixed things about it. I was not impressed with the writing. But let's be honest, most people aren't reading these books for the writing quality. I was committed to reading these books as my trilogy for the Semi-Charmed Summer Book Challenge. Despite some interesting writing, I was hooked by the middle of book two. The trilogy started to develop a story line that was more interesting to follow and by book three, I was thrilled for their Happily Ever After. I don't think any girl could resist one of those!


I made a trip to the public library today, which has been one of my favorite places for as long as I can remember, and picked out the books I'll be burying my nose into for these next few weeks. You can stay tuned for updates on these books here or on Goodreads! Here is the current status of the books I'm reading.

1. Read a book chosen for the U.S. 2012 World Book Night.
Kindred, Octavia Butler (May 18-20)

2. Read a book you were supposed to read in school, but either bailed on or Cliff-Noted.
The Color Purple, Alice Walker(planned)

3. Read a memoir or narrative nonfiction book.
Bossypants, Tina Fey (reading)

4. Read a book in one calendar day.
The Exceptionals, Erin Cashman (May 6)

5. Read a book that you've always wanted to read but haven't gotten around to yet.
Still deciding on this one.

6. Read a pair of books that have antonyms in the titles
And Then Their Were None, Agatha Christie(May 13-14)
The Lucky One, Nicholas Sparks(May 15-16)

7. Read a book that is set in a place you've never been but want to visit.
Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden(planned)

8. Find a book written the year you were born that was later made into a movie. Read the book and watch the movie; compare.
The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan(planned)

9. Go into a bookstore or library. Pick any bookshelf. Read the third book from the left on the fourth shelf from the top.
Night Shift, Stephen King(planned)

10. Read a book about which you’ve heard bad things
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards(planned)

11. Read a trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy, E.L. James (May 19-23, 2012)

Current Points: 70



This Memorial Day weekend, I will be lounging by Lake Arrowhead tanning with my nose in a book.
What will you be doing this weekend?!





Blog title courtesy of I Heart You, You Haunt Me, Lisa Schroeder

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...