Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

i don't want to live like i don't care.

Photo Courtesy of We Heart It

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to create this post. I've been stewing on it these last few days, contemplating my thoughts over this subject matter. But what I think I was really struggling with was the courage to evaluate myself. So I did what I always do during times like this, I prayed. Sure enough, 

He pulls through.

Let me just sidetrack for a second and say how far a little faith can go. I'm not kidding you, every time I'm in a rut, and even when I'm not, God never fails to give me an answer. It may not always be right that next second, but it always comes. This time it took a little longer than expected, but His response came in loud and clear. I think that extra time was what I needed to hear it clearly.

I mentioned before that I've been reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  Usually, I am a quick reader (For example, I read the final Harry Potter book in its entirety in two days and only put it down to shower and sleep). But boy, does this book make me think. It's not something I can just breeze through. I've had to read, contemplate, re-read, and contemplate some more before moving on to the next section. This book has challenged me and made me think. I finished reading Chapter Four: Profile of a Lukewarm earlier this week. It opened up with one of my favorite teachings, the Parable of the Sower.

Matthew 13:
3 Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a cropa hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.


Chan then tells his readers: "Don't assume you're good soil"

So many Christians today, get caught up in their own lives so much that their faith gets put on the back burner. Their faith and love for God is what he defines as lukewarm.

They go to church on Sundays and give their offerings

but would never give up the material luxuries of their lives
.
They are deeply moved by these impressive acts people have done in His name 


but never act themselves

They claim they're Christians

but don't always share their faith with others for fear of being rejected


As much as I'd love to say this isn't me, I can't. I know there are times when I am staying true to my faith, but it's far from consistent. More like consistently inconsistent. Let's be honest, self-evaluations are rough.  It's not always the easiest thing to be your own judge, especially when it comes to this. Now you can see why I was struggling with this chapter. So after I'd been reflecting over this all last week, I went to mass this morning with my family and sure enough,
Matthew 13 was read

As soon as I heard the first line, I thought 
alright God, i get it. 
i'm hearing Your message.
i know our conversation isn't quite over yet

I don't want to be lukewarm. I know that my life is better because of God and the least I can do is live His teachings in my everyday life. 

To quote Francis Chan:
We are all messed up human beings,
and no one is really immune to [lukewarm]  behaviors.
However, there is a difference
between a life that is characterized by these sorts of mentalities and habits
and a life that is in the process of being radically transformed




"If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the nextIt is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."
-C.S. Lewis




Blog Title courtesy of I Refuse by Josh Wilson. I wasn't sure what I was going to title this blog, and of course, the song comes on my Slacker Radio station just as I'm starting to write this blog and its message was BEYOND PERFECT. Thanks God :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...