Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

and in that moment, i swear we were infinite.

Photo Courtesty of We Heart It
A while back, I wrote a post about the growing reading list I was creating to keep me busy over the summer. I always have people telling me about good books or look over a great review but always seem to forget the titles (short term memory problem). This one wasn't actually on my original book list and I had a completely forgotten about it until a sweet coworker gave me a copy to read as a graduation present. The Perks of Being a Wallflower had me hooked after the first few pages. My coworker Eddy and I had worked several events together throughout the semester and it had slipped my mind that we had talked about this book at one of them. Now, I'm obviously not the best critic. For example, I'm rarely ever disappointed with movies (yup, I even love the corny ones) but I just love when a good book draws me in until I'm done reading the last page. That's exactly what this one did.

I'm not going to try to give this review about the book 'cause I'd love for you to read it and create an opinion of your own. Here's a book description from the website

Standing on the fringes of life...
offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.
This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative new voice in contemporary fiction:The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.
Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.


Now, for some of my favorite quotes :)

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons 
and maybe we'll never know most of them. 
But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, 
we can still choose where we go from there.


We accept the love we think we deserve.


Maybe it's not always about trying to fix something broken.
Maybe it's about starting over and creating something better.


and of course, there's many more where that came from :)






On a different note, some exciting stuff coming up for this girl:
VIP Tickets to Cars 2 at the El Capitan Theater with my mom and brother
Mariners v. Angels game with a special performance by Dierks Bentley
Tim Burton Exhibit
Brunch with my Family Friends
Food and Rum Tasting with mom and friends
....AND 12 days until I head to HOTLANTA!!!!




Blog Title courtesy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...