Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Panhellenic Love


In the midst of this Lilly Pulitzer competition for three new sorority prints, it had me reflecting on just how competitive Greek Life can be. Everyone always wants to be the "top chapter" or win that award that such and such chapter has been winning every year, or dominate Greek Week, etc. etc. Often times instead of being happy for another chapter and their achievements, Greeks sit and bash on how much they supposedly didn't deserve that award. Where is the Greek Unity?!

I will admit, I am a very competitive person but a little friendly competition is always good and I know how to control that competitiveness! I worked to make sure my chapter did the best in whatever we undertook. We worked hard, practiced hard, played hard and in my time as a collegian I know we deserved everything we earned. The hard work paid off!!

When it came to the times we didn't earn what we were working towards, I understood that too. I remember at the 5 star Banquet last December, EVERYONE was coming up to me from different Greek organizations saying how they knew we had Dean's Cup in the bag. When it came time to announce it, we didn't receive the award.

Following the Banquet, I had Greek friends and sisters come up to me and asked if I was upset or if we felt jipped. First, I watched my attitude towards my fellow-beings and congratulated everyone on their awards. I thought it was all well deserved! I wasn't upset. I was happy with us receiving the 5 Star Pursuit of Excellence award and Chapter's Choice!! Our chapter spent all of 2010 coming back from a rocky 2009 and to go from where we were then to this was amazing!! Each year, all the Panhellenic and IFC organizations get to select one chapter from each council that they feel is an excellent chapter in our Greek Community. I was honored to have our chapter win this title for what I'm pretty sure was the first time in our 40 year history.

I love Alpha Delta Pi. I've even been told that I bleed Blue and White. I've been known to read the C.O.B. and other ADPi materials before I go to bed and will live my for my sisters no matter what. I always said I could never be a Recruitment Counselor or disassociate from recruitment because I could not be apart from ADPi for that long, but I still understand the importance of supporting the Greek Community.

We are all advocates for Greek Life, no matter our letters, and the support for one another is crucial to the success of all our amazing organizations.

I was talking to one of my Titan Delegate co-workers and the Multicultural Greek Council President Jayda about how much we love Greek Life and what an impact it has had on us. We were also saying how we both love to learn the history of not only about our respective organizations but other Greek organizations too. So in honor of Greek Unity and Panhellenic Love everywhere, I thought I would share with y'all some facts I thought were interesting about the 6 Panhellenic Organizations on my campus and some others I have friends in at other campuses. Who knows, maybe one day I'll do all 26.

Alpha Delta Pi
Open Motto: We Live For Each Other
Founded on May 15th, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College
Macon, GA
Philanthropy: Ronald McDonald House Charities, Alpha Delta Pi Foundation
Alpha Delta Pi was originally the Adelphean Society and the first secret society for collegiate women founded at the first college chartered to grant degrees to women.

Alpha Chi Omega
Open Motto: Together Let Us Seek the Heights
Founded on October 15, 1885 at DePauw University
Greencastle, Indiana
Philanthropy: Domestic Violence Awareness, Alpha Chi Omega Foundation
Alpha Chi was created by students and faculty in the university's music school and was the first musically tied sorority. The golden lyre was chosen as a symbol as it stayed true to the members' musical interests and because music unites the soul.

Alpha Phi
Open Motto: Union Hand in Hand
Founded on October 10, 1872 at Syracuse University
Syracuse, New York
Philanthropy: Alpha Phi Foundation
Alpha Phi was the first to build and own a chapter house, have traveling delegates (Educational Leadership Consultants) and called the inter-sorority meeting that formed the National Panhellenic Conference.

Gamma Phi Beta
Open Motto: Founded Upon a Rock
Founded on November 11, 1874 at Syracuse University
Syracuse, New York
Philanthropy: Camp Fire USA and Girl Guides of Canada
Gamma Phi Beta was the first Greek Organization to coin the word "sorority" meaning sisterhood and is a member of the Syracuse Triad along with Alpha Phi and Alpha Gamma Delta.
(So my sisters and G-Phi friends alike, I know there's always some confusion about this, especially around recruitment time. To clarify, ADPi was the first secret society for collegiate women and G-Phi created and was the first to use the word sorority. Hope that helps everyone!)

Delta Zeta
Founded on October 24, 1902 at Miami University
Oxford, Ohio
Philanthropy: The Painted Turtle Camp
Delta Zeta is the second largest sorority in the US and the largest international sorority. It's badge is on display at the Smithsonian Museum too!

Delta Gamma
Open Motto: Do Good
Founded on October 15, 1873 at Lewis School for Girls
Oxford, Mississippi
Philanthropy: Service for Sight
Delta Gamma was one of the charter members for the National Panhellenic Conference, the first to establish an individual philanthropic foundation, and uses the term Fraternity because the word is derived from the Greek derivative "phratres" meaning "groups of people with similar interests" as compared to the Latin "phratria" meaning "brotherhood."

Zeta Tau Alpha
Open Motto: Seek the Noblest
Founded on October 15, 1898 at Virginia State Female Normal School
(now Longwood University)
Farmville, Virginia
Philanthropy: Breast Cancer education and Awareness,
THINK-PINK!®

ZTA was the first to establish a National Housing Corporation and is the third largest National Women's Fraternity.

Sigma Kappa
Open Motto: One Heart, One Way
Founded on November 9, 1874 at Colby College
Waterville, Maine
Philanthropy: Sigma Kappa Foundation, Inherit the Earth, Gerontology Research, Alzheimer's Disease Research, Marine Sea Coast Mission
SK has some notable alumnae including Margaret Chase Smith (Alpha Chapter), the first femal U.S. Senator and Sarah Weddington (Zeta Nu), attorney for Norma McCorvey in Roe v. Wade.



So obvi, I could write tons on ADPi but that wasn't the point of this post.
(unless you want fun facts then I can totally tell you what I know)



This post was to spread the Panhel Love and some fun facts of various chapters.
Each sorority has some kind of first or something they're known for and just because it wasn't yours doesn't mean that it wasn't a good thing! Each of these paved a path for where we all our today and will only help our Greek Community prosper.
So, I don't care if you're a Zeta, DG, Gammie, Blue and White Girl, or member of any other sorority don't forget to support your Panhellenic Sisters always!!!

If you have any other firsts, milestones, achievements, etc. that you would like to share about these and any other Panhel sororities please comment!
I'd LOVE to hear them :)





Photo Courtesy of Kotis Design

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...