Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

we're from camp titan our team is a good one.....

...we fight the watuzies
they're SEVEN FEET TALL!!


some of my fabulous sisters and I at Camp Titan 2010


Oh, I'm going to miss Camp Titan. For those of you who are reading this and thinking is this girl crazy? What the heck is a watuzie? Well, let me tell you a little bit about Camp Titan.

Camp Titan is Cal State Fullerton's philanthropy that sends underprivileged children from Orange County, CA to camp for a week in the San Bernardino mountains. Many of these children come from foster homes, group homes, broken, homes, low-income homes, etc. These children range from ages 7 to 14 and for one week, they get to escape their realities to have an unforgettable experience. For many of the campers, this is the highlight of their year. At camp they take part in campfire, songs, canoeing, arts and crafts, nature activities, archery, team building workshops, and tons more! One of my favorite parts are NFTNs (Nose For The News). The kids (and counselors) get to right "news" on pieces of paper which are read during campfire.

For Example: I saw someone from Cabin 5 giving googly eyes to someone in Cabin 9

It's a blast! In addition to the actual camp, we also do a Christmas party for the campers and any of their siblings. We partner up with the Titan Student Union who has a little train set up in the TSU with names and ages. Students and Faculty can grab a name and buy a gift which us Staff would then wrap and pass out to the children that attend.

My first year at camp was in 2009. I was a counselor for Cabin 13 which was 11-12 year old girls. I absolutely adored them! I definitely bawled the last night of camp because I was so sad to say goodbye! In 2010, I served as Leadership Staff, where I held leadership and team building workshops with the campers. (the returning campers told me it was the best Leadership they've ever been too since it's usually been boring in past years. i'd like to thank the m&ms tho) I absolutely loved it! This year I won't be able to do camp since I have another great opportunity as a Leadership Consultant but I'm always happy to spread the word of this amazing program :)

Camp Titan receives most of its funding through student fees, change jars at different stores on campus, and of course GREEK WEEK! For the last 26 consecutive years, Zeta Alpha chapter has fundraised the most money for this amazing cause. I'm so proud of these ladies for raising OVER $24,000 this year! *Standing Ovation* The Greek Community as a whole was able to raise over $57,000 *Another Standing Ovation* (just to give you perspective, it costs about $80,000 to rent the facility which includes the actual campsite staff, lodging, and food. in addition, there's buses, luggage trucks, and materials staff members need to buy)

This camp has been run by student volunteers (like myself) for over 40 years. The great thing about support from Greek Life is not only that we fundraise, but on average, Greeks make up about 60% of the counselors and staff for Camp Titan (including about 7 or 8 of my sisters) I know the camp will continue to touch the lives of many children. This cause is near and dear to my heart and I am always more than happy to talk about my time there :)

"Teach this triple truth to all: a generous heart,
kind speech and a life of service and compassion
are the things which renew humanity"
-Buddha

The best way to find yourself
is to lose yourself in the service of others
-Mahatma Gandhi




If you would like to see more pictures click the links below :)
Training Weekend 2009
Camp Titan 2009
Camp Titan 2010

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...