Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love: but the greatest of these is love.




Today I had the opportunity to work Super Sunday at Christ Our Redeemer, African Methodist Episcopal Church in Irvine. In addition to providing information on higher education to the congregation, we were also invited to attend today's service. Let me just say,this is the first service I had attended in a while and I left so enlightened. That was probably the best service I had ever attended. Now, when it comes to religion, I guess I don't really have any set beliefs established. I am all about freedom of religion. To each their own, as long as it's not hurting anyone. I believe in a higher power that has the best at heart for mankind. In some ways, I kind of see the religions of the world like this: everyone is praying to this higher power but under different names and in different ways. I guess I never really found a church that I fit in perfectly at but I wouldn't say that I don't have faith. Oh, I definitely do. I have faith in myself, faith in others, and faith that good things will come to those who believe and persevere.

That's kind of what today's service was about. Fear and Faith. Now, I really wish I could remember everything word for word and write it here for you because it really was an amazing service. They had a Rabbi come in and speak, they have amazing ministers who preached the Word, and choir that made you really feel this presence all the way to your core. Everything I learned today only affirmed what I am seeking in life. There were a couple parts that really spoke out to me:


  • You must believe in the Lord, but most of all He needs you to believe in YOURSELF
  • God made us in His image allowing us to all have a part of Him inside of us. When you love and help your neighbor, you are loving and helping Him.
  • God has given us the ability to make the world a better place, to help our neighbors, to enlighten others. It is up to us, however, to put this into action.



The Rabbi also talked about Auschwitz and the Holocaust. He brought up the doubts of those who ask where God was in this time of need. The answer to this was simple: Where was Man?


Although I'm not entirely certain what I'm going to do with my life, I know for sure I will be helping to make the world a better place. It's sad to think of the turmoil, poverty, and illness going on in countries across the world and even in our own. I know I may only be one person, but I have faith that there is good in everyone and the willingness to help one another. I have hope that even the smallest of efforts can set a domino effect and continue the betterment of this world. Most of all, I have love; love for my neighbors, love for the community, love for learning, a love for the willingness to make this world a better place.


I am so happy to have been able to attend this service today. It was definitely much needed and another sign showing me that I am on the right path.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...